Sony Goes Beyond Definition at NAB 2017
Professional Imaging, HDR, IP Live and Media Solutions Technologies offer diversity and flexibility
At NAB 2017, Sony is highlighting innovations in imaging, High Dynamic Range (HDR), IP and media solutions that enable the creation of dynamic content and increase workflow efficiencies for a range of applications and productions.
“In addition to driving the latest technological trends and innovations, Sony is honing our focus on the customer experience to become a long-term, strategic partner for our customers,” said Anthony Kable, Content Creation Group Manager, Sony Australia. “At NAB we will be displaying new products, updates to current products and a range of workflow solutions that meet the ever-changing needs of our customers – from 4K live production and HDR to IP live production, media solutions, asset management and everything in between – allowing them to be in control of their future.”
This year, Sony is showcasing products and technologies that cover image capture including system cameras, handheld acquisition, ENG camcorders, motion picture cameras, interchangeable lens cameras, event production and compact production; HDR such as selected professional cameras and monitors; IP Live Production involving live, high frame rate (HFR) production servers and production switchers; and media solutions comprising storage, cloud and media asset management.
In addition, Sony further evolves its 4K live solution, adding metadata workflow to provide efficient content management over a Share Play-enabled network, allowing users to save significant time from production to on-air.
In the arena of HDR, Sony is offering system, workflow and choices of recording formats that deliver unprecedented flexibility in every production. Sony has already established its SR Live for HDR workflow, a straightforward system that enables an efficient workflow for simultaneous production of 4K HDR and HD SDR. Sony is also expanding its HDR capabilities with two enhancements – HD HDR Live broadcasting and Instant HDR workflow. Further, Sony increases its offering with a wider choice of video formats depending on users’ production requirements.
Another highlight is its IP Live Production workflow. Broadcasters around the world are increasingly embracing IP for its proven ability to deliver quality live 4K video, audio, synchronisation signals and control data through a single network cable. At NAB, Sony is showcasing its IP end-to-end capabilities, as well as its compatibility with industry standards such as SMPTE ST2110, ST2059 and NMOS IS-04.
For NAB 2017, Sony is introducing a range of new workflow solutions including:
- XDCAM Air – Cloud-based ENG subscription service. This comprehensive ENG workflow platform is designed for speed to air – from shooting to post-production – and harnesses the power of cloud computing and XDCAM.
- With XDCAM Air, camera operators and news crews now have the ability to work more quickly and efficiently, concentrating on the story at hand, with the camera directly integrated into the workflow.
- Version 1.0, releasing in June, will provide intelligent functions such as live streaming, XDCAM mobile compatibility, and metadata workflow. XDCAM Pocket – XDCAM Air’s mobile application, turns a smartphone into an ENG camera by transmitting quality live stream through the mobile device’s LTE network using QoS stream mode.
- XDCAM Air will be interoperable with a large number of major operating systems, both from Sony and 3rd parties. Sony will continue to develop new features and workflow for XDCAM Air, with further versions planned to support content management, enhanced device control as well as edit integration with NLEs.
- Media Backbone Hive orchestrates all phases of the familiar, tried and trusted news workflow that thousands of broadcasters depend on. Powerful yet intuitive applications are provided for a gamut of functions – planning, ingesting, browsing, editing, publishing, playout, archive and management. Its outstanding technical achievement won the prestigious IABM Peter Wayne Award for Design and Innovation.
- RTV Oost, a regional broadcaster in the Netherlands, has selected Media Backbone Hive to streamline and future-proof its news operations, becoming the first European regional broadcaster to introduce the end-to-end media production solution from Sony.
- Media Backbone NavigatorX delivers easier, quicker and more efficient asset and workflow management. Designed to suit multiple modern workflow environments, it allows users to manage assets in a range of formats, with flexible options for production, archiving and workflow automation.
- Optical Disc Archive Generation 2 provides a secure and long-term archive solution based on Sony’s proven optical disc format. Rated with a 100 year shelf life, the Generation 2 is designed to achieve 3.3TB capacity on a single cartridge.
- Acceptance of Optical Disc Archive has been steadily growing with the following new customers including Christian Broadcasting Network, Embassy Row, Golf Channel, National Film Board of Canada, The Voice, and Wells Fargo. Developers and vendors can incorporate Optical Disc Archive Generation 2 into their own compatible products, with ready-to-provide technical support from Sony to facilitate product development. The latest partner products for Optical Disc Archive include: NLTek for Avid Interplay, QStar Archive Manager, SGL FlashNet, StorageDNA’s DNAfusion and XenData.
Other new Sony products at NAB include:
- Monitors – Sony is highlighting a range of new and upgraded OLED and LCD HD monitors. The Version 2 update allows new enhancements such as colour space ITU-R BT.2020, graphics application and more for the following:
- OLED HD picture monitors: PVM-A250/A170
- LCD HD production monitors: LMD-A240/A220/A170
- The new Version 2 update is an LCD basic grade full HD production monitor equipped with a lightweight and slim body for easy installation and natural ventilation (no cooling fan). The monitor features a unique Sync-Free Side by Side function. SDI and HDMI inputs, as well as HD, SD, different frame rates, interlace, PsF, and progressive can be configured. The monitor delivers low signal processing latency, and focus assist that works with the main image.
- AXS-AR1 – AXS memory and SxS memory card reader using a Thunderbolt™ 2 interface1. The Thunderbolt™ 2 connector enables daisy-chain operation. The AXS-AR1 is Sony’s first card reader that is equipped with AXS Memory A series and SxS Memory card slots. The versatile reader supports simultaneous recording workflow, i.e., RAW (or X-OCN) and XAVC (or MPEG50) files recorded by F55/F5 and AXS-R7.
- DVF-EL200 – The DVF-EL200 is a high quality full HD (1920×1080) OLED viewfinder for the F55 and F5 that offers easy focusing and framing. With nearly twice the brightness of Sony’s DVF-EL100 and enhanced usability, the viewfinder is durable and resistant. It can be quickly and easily attached to the CBK-55CL viewfinder stay. It features an improved eye sensor for increased sensitivity and better positioning, along with enhanced brightness, contrast and peaking level settings.
- UMC-S3CA – This new model is an ultra-high sensitivity 4K interchangeable lens video camera with full frame sensor interchangeable E-mount FF lenses. Its Genlock support function enables users to operate multiple cameras in synchronisation and widens the camera’s range of applications, such as shooting from multiple points or Virtual Reality use. Its small and light weight size make the camera easy to install on cranes and sliders, ideal for crash cam usage to capture exciting images from different angles and height.
- Ruggedised HDDs – PSZ-HC1T (1TB), PSZ-HC2T (2TB) – Improving on Sony’s previous HDDs, the redesigned 1TB and 2TB shuttle drives feature an extremely durable USB Type-A tethered cable and Type-C port – ideal for memory card backup in the field. The new bus powered HDDs, come pre-formatted in exFAT, are highly shock, splash and dust resistant and come packaged with a sturdy library box for additional content protection during shipping or storage. High speed data transfer has also been increased to up to 138MB/s (read/write) making any backup or storage operations even more efficient.
- Sony’s free Memory Media Utility software download is available via www.sony.net/mmu and extends the value proposition by providing a record/rewrite life indicator, simultaneous content backup to multiple destinations, re-formatting tool and much more.
1. Under certification. Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries
About Sony: With a diverse portfolio of businesses across electronics, music, film, gaming and telecommunications, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the world’s largest technology and entertainment company. Sony Australia Limited and Sony New Zealand Limited are wholly owned subsidiaries of the Sony Corporation of Japan, a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Committed to producing innovative and quality electronic products, the range includes BRAVIA TVs, Cyber-shot digital cameras, Handycam camcorders, α digital SLR cameras and Walkman MP3 players as well as professional broadcast and production equipment. For more information on Sony Australia, visit www.sony.com.au or for New Zealand visit www.sony.co.nz