Home > News from Elsewhere > Media Releases > Business as usual at Tropfest NZ

Business as usual at Tropfest NZ

Tropfest NZ – Business as usual

TROPFEST PTY LTD announced yesterday that the December 6 Tropfest Australia short film festival screening will not be taking place as scheduled.

Director John Polson announced last night that Tropfest Australia will not be taking place as scheduled in Centennial Park this year due to the “irresponsible mismanagement of Tropfest funds.”

Tropfest New Zealand CEO Suzanne Porter said the New Zealand festival’s sympathies go out to John Polson, the filmmakers, sponsors and supporters of Tropfest Australia.

“But it is business as usual for the New Zealand festival and we remain unaffected. Our license to promote and present the Tropfest brand in New Zealand is directly with John Polson in New York and not through Australia.”

“Tropfest New Zealand will see its fourth presentation in New Zealand as scheduled on February 27, 2016.”

“We have 21 days left until our entry deadline, which is December 3rd, and we encourage all New Zealand filmmakers to get out there and make a short film! Our winning film in 2014 was made in under 2 weeks, the beauty of Tropfest is that anyone can enter and anyone can win.”

Porter said the festival had already received a number of entries, “the quality and kiwi ingenuity we’ve seen in the entries so far is overwhelmingly impressive and we look forward to showcasing the finalists in the stunning venue that is the TSB Bowl of Brooklands.”

“The competition provides sixteen talented filmmakers with the chance to kick start their careers. Past finalists have gone on to huge international festival success in North America, Europe and Australia.”

Entry criteria for Tropfest NZ is simple: films must be 7 minutes or less, and must include the Tropfest Signature Item (TSI) for 2016, which is ‘DREAM’. The TSI can be included in any way the filmmaker chooses.

TROPFEST HISTORY

Tropfest – the world’s largest short film festival has been presented in Australia for 23 years, attracting crowds of over 150,000 on a single night.

Started in 1993 by founder and director John Polson, it grew from a small film screening in Sydney’s Tropicana cafe to one of Australia’s most iconic events, and the world’s largest short film festival with competitions in Arabia, South East Asia, North America and most recently New Zealand.

The support and involvement of film personalities from around the world has become one of the trademarks of the festival. Selection of the winning Tropfest film takes place live on the night of the festival by a panel of high profile industry and celebrity judges. Past judges have included Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Naomi Watts, Toni Collette, Rose Byrne, Geoffrey Rush, Russell Crowe, Sam Worthington, Salma Hayek, George Miller and Gabriel Byrne to name a few.

You may also like
‘Naki to drop Tropfest
Tropfest names 2017 winners
Tropfest names 2017 finalists
Tropfest confirms new ambassadors