Fujinon, Sydney, 5 April 2016 – FUJIFILM has announced that it will release the FUJINON XK6x20 as a new addition to its lineup of 4K-compatible digital cinema camera Cabrio zoom lenses in late June. Equipped with a PL mount*2, the most common format for cinema cameras, the XK6x20 is a standard zoom lens that delivers T3.5*1 brightness for the entire zoom range from 20mm to 120mm. The XK6x20 will be showcased for the first time at NAB 2016 to be held in Las Vegas at the LVCC from April 18 to 21, 2016.
Designed for the video production and PL cine markets, this 20-120mm Cabrio features industry-proven Cabrio flexibility – at an affordable price. It is also equipped with a unique detachable servo drive unit, making it suitable for use as an ENG-style or standard PL lens.
The 20-120mm Cabrio is also fitted with a nine-blade iris, to capture the most natural looking imagery possible. It comes equipped with all the lens data outputs that are required by today’s cine-style shooters. LDS and /i Tech metadata compatibility are very useful when users need to record the position information of zoom, iris, and focus for computer animation and similar postproduction operations. The digital servo on this new lens has 16-bit encoding, so operators can be assured that the lens data outputs are extremely accurate.
The 20-120mm Cabrio XK can be controlled using cinema industry standard wireless controllers, as well as existing FUJINON wired units. Meanwhile, the zoom’s barrel markings are luminous for visibility in dark shooting situations – a nice-to-have touch that reflects the company’s deep understanding of real-life cinema shooting conditions.
In recent years, the need for employing visual content that utilise mild bokeh created with high image quality and shallow depth-of-field lenses that are unique to cinema cameras has increased for shooting various scenes for commercials, concerts, documentaries and dramas.
Fujifilm released FUJINON Cine Lenses compatible with digital cinema cameras in 2002. Since then, it has provided high-resolution, high-quality lenses for digital cinema camera customers in various production sites in the cinema and broadcasting industries.
The XK6x20 digital cinema camera zoom lens offers high optical performance compatible with 4K cameras and covers a wide focal length range from 20mm to 120mm. It also realises T3.5 brightness throughout the entire zoom range. There is no T drop*3 and it offers comfortable operation enabling various scenes to be shot with this single lens. It also features 0.8mm gear pitch*4 for compatibility with standard cine accessories.
*1 T (T number) is index that indicates brightness of lens taking F value and transmittance into account. Smaller the number, brighter the lens.
*2 16mm / 35mm cinema camera lens mount used by the world’s leading German cinema camera manufacturer Arnold and Richter Cine Technik
*3 Full transmission aperture is fixed in any focal length, and T number does not change when operating zoom.
*4 Distance between gear teeth
1. Product name: FUJINON cine lens XK6x20
2. Release date: Late June 2016
3. Main features:
(1) Advanced optical performance
- Featuring high-precision large-diameter aspherical elements designed with cutting-edge optical simulation technology. It delivers high optical performance and low distortion compatible with 4K cameras from the center to the edge of the screen, and delivers performance comparable to single focal length lenses for digital cinema camera in the entire zoom range.
- By integrating the colour temperature of the flagship model “HK series” and compact and lightweight model “ZK series”, colour grading*5 is simplified when using multiple lens models together.
- Featuring Flange Back Focus*6 Adjustment Mechanism, used in broadcasting lenses, for optimised mounting with cameras to bring out the full lens optical performance.
- Using a 9-blade round iris mechanism to achieve the iris shape as round as possible, enabling natural bokeh in images
*5 Work to correct colour of images in editing work.
*6 Image forming plane of lens can be adjusted to the optimum position according to flange back (distance from lens mounting reference plane to sensor) of each camera.
(2) Covers focal length from 20mm to 120mm and realises T3.5 brightness across entire zoom range
- Covering a wide field of view from focal length of 20mm to 120mm. Time and cost can be saved as the need to exchange the lens to a different focal length is unnecessary.
- Maintains T3.5 brightness over the entire zoom range. There is no T drop where T number changes according to focal length, enabling comfortable operation.
- Equipped with “macro function” which enables shooting as close as subject distance*7 of 40cm (11cm from front lens*8). It expands possible shooting scenes covered by a single lens.
*7 Distance from image forming plane to subject.
*8 The foremost lens of the multiple-lens structure.
(3) Offers comfortable operability
- The gear pitch for the operation ring of focus, zoom and iris (aperture) is 0.8mm, the same as existing FUJINON cinema camera lenses, for compatibility with standard cine accessories.
- Focus ring realises moderate torque with 200-degree rotation angle to aid accurate focusing.
- The focus indicator ring is available in feet or meters.
(4) Equipped with detachable drive unit
- Equipped with a drive unit for electric zooming and focusing that offers the operability equivalent to conventional TV camera lenses.
- When the drive unit is not equipped, general full manual operation is possible in motion picture production scenes.
(5) Equipped with a “rotary encoder” which outputs lens data in high resolution
- Rotary Encoders are installed in the drive unit for high resolution output of lens position data, including zoom, focus, and iris.
4. Main Specifications:
Model name – XK6x20
Camera specifications – Super 35mm PL Mount camera
Focal length – 20mm – 120mm
Zoom ratio – 6x
T-No. – 3.5
Minimum object distance (M.O.D) – 1.1m/3.61ft
Object dimensions (at the M.O.D) [Horizontal × Vertical]
20mm 1109mm × 624mm
120mm 182mm × 102mm
Angle of view [Horizontal × Vertical] 16：9 aspect ratio
20mm 63°41′ × 38°30′
120mm 11°49′ × 6°40′
Approx. size (ö × Length)
ö114mm x 239mm
Approx. 2.9kg (with drive unit) / approx. 2.4kg (without drive unit)
To book meetings and demos of FUJINON lenses on the FUJIFILM booth at NAB contact Simon Becker on +61 429 400 133 or at [email protected]
FUJIFILM Australia Pty Ltd is one of 282 worldwide subsidiaries (as of 31 March 2013) owned by FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation which is the world’s largest photographic and imaging company, and one of the best-known and most instantly recognisable global brands. In the Oceania region, Fuji Xerox and FUJIFILM NZ also form part of the corporate family owned by ultimate parent company, FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation.